Yoga in 2018

image @themindsjournal.com

These days, I find myself wondering what would the old Hindus that wrote the Vedas think about how people have been practising yoga nowadays. 

I’ve seen beautiful things but also some “bizarre stuff” in the social media world. The last new way to do yoga I saw that shocked me was a class that mixed yoga with guns! I had a feeling that after seeing yoga with goats I would have seen it all, but apparently, I was wrong.

Yoga as philosophy comes from the oldest Hindu sacred texts called 'The Vedas'. They are written in Sanskrit and originated in ancient India. They were written down thousands of years ago, but contain knowledge and wisdom that originated even long before then, passed down orally. The Sanskrit word, Veda, means "knowledge."  Also, they are considered to be the direct word of the Divine.  

Yoga is simple. When I mean simple, I say you have to show up on your mat with consistency and frequency. Start from where you are and commit. Devote love to your body and to the process you are going through. Ok. Maybe not so simple but there is no "golden pill for transformation". 

After almost 20 years of devoted practice; in my humble opinion is that the yoga made with devotion perhaps is what it's missing. There is no need to "add" anything to the practice. 

After all, if we remember the meaning of yoga from Patanjali's Yoga Sutras: yoga is the restriction of the fluctuations of consciousness. ('yogas-Citta-vrtti-nirodhah'- translation by Georg Feuerstein)

The underlying philosophy, or teaching, of the Vedas, is the concept that the individual is not an independent entity, but, instead, a part of the Universal Conscious. You are responsible for the energy you bring into the Planet. What a beautiful gift. We are all one. For real.

Comments

Best Sellers Posts

I am the eye in the sky.

Feeling comfortable on my own skin.